Friday, August 20, 2010

British

My parents visited for almost 2 weeks. I started to make a list of words that I haven't heard in a loooooong time that sound funny and soooo English to me now:

lift (elevator)
tele (TV)
pudding (dessert)
flat (apartment)
mobile (cell phone)
jumper (sweater)
boot (trunk)
bonnet (hood)
smack (spank)
petrol (gas)...

Seriously, this list could have gone on and on and on... I stopped listing after one evening. It amused me for a while! There are some British words of course that I still come out with from time to time and cause a blank look on the other person's face. Mostly though my British-isms are fading fast and since I never hear these words unless I'm on the phone to someone back home, I find them so funny to hear. And oh, the accent!! Yes, I know, I hear you say it - I have an accent too... but none so strong as my parents'. It was great to have them around :)

I will post photos when my mum sends me some (was nice to have someone else taking the photos for once!)

1 comment:

  1. I can imagine how the other words came up, but who was doing the smacking?! Were you VERY naughty?

    Ps telly not tele?

    ReplyDelete